January 13, 2011

Grandma Massey

October was a busy month for me and Bri. We went to AZ at the end September and found out that Grandma Massey passed away on Sept. 29th. So we extended our trip so that we could be there for her funeral on Oct. 5th. We all miss Grandma so much, but we know that she is happy to be back with Grandpa. I'm glad that we gave Briley her middle name so that we can remember her often.
Grandma was tough, she had to be after raising five roudy boys. She always said what she was thinking, no matter if it was a little mean or not. She always made us laugh a lot when we were around her.
Some of my favorite memories with Grandma was when we would go stay at her house and she would teach us how to bake all sorts of yummy treats. She lived right by Rainbow Lake in Pinetop and always had bird seed or popcorn on hand so that when we came to visit we could walk down to the lake and feed the ducks. She taught us how to hold our hands out with our fingers close together so the ducks could eat out of our hands without biting a finger. I still love to feed ducks, any chance I get. I remember building the best igloo ever in G&G's backyard after a big snow, and they always had the best Christmas Eve parties at their house. All of the cousins would come and we would eat, play, and laugh and then Santa would come and bring us each a treat! And of course you could always count on lots of yummy food at Grandma's house too. She was cook at a restaurant in Pinetop for many years and was famous for her pies. Every Thanksgiving we would ask Grandma to bring the dessert. She would always show up with way to many pies, usually 10-12 and pumpkin rolls too! We usually ended up having to throw some away after everyone had gained 10 pounds tasting all of the yummy pies. I am sad that my kids will never get to know Grandma and Grandpa Massey, but I'm so grateful for all of the fun memories that I have with them. I'm grateful to know that we will all get to see them again.

Briley Alice meeting Great-Grandma Mary Alice for the first time.
This was at Grandma's surprise 80th birthday party in May 2009 at Darbi's restaurant.

Four generations.

Briley wearing Grandpa's hat that we found at Grandma's house after the funeral.




1 comment:

Roz said...

that's a sweet tribute to Grandma. I'm glad you have such good memories of her and Grandpa. I do too. She was a "corker" as she would say. Miss 'em both alot. Love you sweety. Dad.